public policy


Useful Links

Current Legislative/Regulatory Issues

Proposed Maine Legislation: Stability in the Control of Pesticides—H. 1052  

On 1/7/16, Maine Representative Jeffrey Timberlake (R) introduced a bill to promote the Stability in the Control of Pesticides. H. 1052 would require localities that attempt to independently regulate pesticide usage to establish a municipal reviewing authority similar to the state board and also be compliant with rules further promulgated by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. 

Proposed Local Ordinance—Harpswell, ME: Restricting Outdoor Use of Pesticides

The ordinance was introduced in the municipal government of Harpswell, Maine. The ordinance included banning the use of Neonicotinoid pesticides. To date, Maine has been a hotbed of local government action on pesticides. 

Proposed Local Ordinance—Portland, ME: Pesticide Ordinance

The ordinance would prohibit the sale or use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, other than pesticides classified by the US Environmental Protection Agency as exempt materials under 40 CFR 152.25, and those products permitted by the Organic Materials Review Institute. The City Council has not yet held a vote on the ordinance.

Proposed Local Ordinance—South Portland, ME: Prohibition of Pesticides 

The South Portland City Council is considering an ordinance that would ban pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers in the city. The City Council has not yet held a vote on the ordinance.

State Policy Affairs Representative (S.P.A.R.), Ted Brayton

The NPMA State Policy Affairs Representative is the key liaison responsible for coordinating issues between associations. To contact your state SPAR click on their email below.

Ted has 24 years in the industry, all with Griggs & Browne Pest Control. He was Treasurer of the New England Pest Management Association and currently is the President-Elect New England Pest Management Association. Ted is the S.P.A.R. for Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Contact: